Saturday 11 August 2018

only 7% of dyslexics believe society is doing enough to enable us

#dyslexia a difference that reflects #diversity #vivaladifference



The medical model of #dyslexia tells us we are disabled, our society shows us we are disabled. 

In the end many of us become a self fulfilling prophecy and believe we are disabled.

The social model of #dyslexia say society #disables. Just ask #dyslexics how society does this.

But if society can disable us it can also enable us. Just ask #dyslexics how society can do or has done this?


A couple years back my organisation Dyslexia Pathways CIC, 'Community Interest Company' carried out a wee bit of #dyslexia research. We asked dyslexics to share their thoughts on being dyslexic. 



How would you answer the questions bellow? 




Do you think enough is being done to enable dyslexics to succeed in education, training for work or in employment?


93% said not enough is being done
7% said yes

Well looks like more work needs to be done by all dyslexia organisation, schools, colleges, governments and employers.

What one thing would you like to say about being dyslexic?


Here are some of the responses form this question:


I think differently to most people and my cognitive performance is in the 99.8 percentile. 

It may take me a while to get the information in but I can work magic once it is 


Its amazing just try it


Think creatively


Worse things can happen it shaped me


We need more help and acceptance


I am unique


I am just me, nothing is seriously wrong, I just see things differently, different does not have to be bad


I don't like others telling me what works and what doesn't, its different for each of us


I have the ability to see what others dream of and live my life in the moment


I am happy dyslexic I fit into a group better than being called slow or dumb


For every succeeder there are a thousand suffers


It has given me a creative twist on the way I see the world


I don't want to hide it I want to celebrate and share my gifts


I am not stupid and being diagnosed confirmed it

So following on from this I have a couple questions for you. 

What would your answers be to the questions we asked?

What would be the one piece of advice you would give to other #dyslexics?


many thanks for reading much appreciated


#peace #love and #groovyness to you all

what the medical and social models of #dyslexia say about #dyslexia



1 comment:

  1. I love my Dyslexic brain & the way it works & I would urge parents with Dyslexic kids to seek out the positive traits in their child & run with them.

    ReplyDelete