Sunday 23 June 2013

Suffer with dyslexia? Not me

I will never support any dyslexia focussed organisation or charity which tells me, and other dyslexics, that we suffer with dyslexia.........I do not suffer with dyslexia at all. I am very happy, and proud, to be dyslexic. What I do suffer with is a society that puts us into schools that are dyslexia unfriendly. Schools that do not teach us in ways we can access the learning that takes place in th...e class room. What I do suffer with is an education system that still fails far to many dyslexic kids. What I do suffer with is the medicalization of dyslexia which tells me my brain is broken, that it is not normal and that I am disabled because of my dyslexia. What I do suffer with are so called dyslexia experts and dyslexia focussed organisation that continually tell me I suffer with dyslexia. Dyslexia is a difference not a disability. Yes being dyslexic does mean we struggle with some tasks but we also excel at others. Isn't that the same for every non dyslexic?

No comments:

Post a Comment