Wednesday 11 July 2018

#iamdyslexic😎 and that is #fab #vivaladifference

A photo of me with my company and campaign logo and we are a social enterprise

Hi blog readers hope you are all well and feeling #fab. 

To those not feeling #fab about being dyslexic for whatever reason I send positive vibes to you all.

I am not a person with #dyslexia, I don't suffer with #dyslexia I don't have #dyslexia. 

#iamdyslexic😎. 

I am very happy that I think, feel and see the world through a #dyslexic prism. #Dyslexia is an integral part of me. It is a part of my identity of who I am.

I was not always so positive about being #dyslexic. I'd actually didn't know I was #dyslexic until I was assessed as #dyslexic when I 35 years old. My assessment for  being #dyslexic was the first step to becoming more positive about being #dyslexic. It enabled me to put my experiences of school into perspective.

It was the starting point of my journey into understanding the enigma that was me.

But I also know there are so many #dyslexics out there who are not happy to be #dyslexic. Their life experiences of being dyslexic at school, in work and training have been so negative it eats away at self confidence, self esteem and erodes mental health well being. 

I know this because that's what my negative life experiences of being an un-assessed and unsupported #dyslexic did to me. I know from first hand experience that being #dyslexic can be a bit of a nightmare.

I am often asked why I do my #dyslexia work. I often ask that question myself. I guess my answer is, "I don't feel I have a choice".

I did some research on when adults were assessed. Only 19% of adult #dyslexics were actually assessed at school. Many #dyslexics go through their whole lives without ever being assessed. This is simply not good enough.

We must change how we think and talk about being #dyslexic and about dyslexia in general. We must move away from a medical model of dyslexia that basically traps us behind a negative stereotypical, one dimensional view of dyslexia. It's a model that has nothing positive to say to #dyslexics or about #dyslexia. Its a model that has been imposed upon us by a non #dyslexic society that quite simply fails us.

That's why I founded Dyslexia Pathways CIC as a social enterprise. That's why I support and promote the social model of dyslexia. Simply because I believe it is an empowering, positive and inclusive way forward.

Thanks for reading

Peace love and groovyness to you all

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment