Monday 27 July 2015

Progress, progress and more progress but one big fly in the ointment

 
Hi blog readers hope you are all well.
 
Lots of exciting things going on for me and Dyslexia Pathways CIC.
 
Can Do Scale Programme:
 
I think the biggest news is that I was selected for the inaugural Scotland Can do Scale Programme. I am still a bit shell shocked because it was very competitive. Over 300 companies applied and I managed to secure one of the 35 places on the Scale programme.
 
Here is a link to their website:
 
 
"Scotland CAN DO SCALE aims to develop the skills of entrepreneurs with an internationally relevant, innovation-driven idea with the potential to grow significantly in Scotland.

The inaugural SCALE 2015 programme will offer unprecedented global teaching led by internationally renowned influencers with direct expertise in substantial company growth. It will take place over four days in Stirling, and is designed for both start up entrepreneurs and those who want to ‘scale up’ their business.

The Programme will equip you with a proven, systematic and rigorous approach to grow your business that can be reused to foster new markets and products throughout its lifetime.

You’ll learn skills to ‘scale up’ to an innovation-driven enterprise (IDE), developing a business that leads the competition and can create significant growth with new products or services that excite customers, and can be delivered efficiently.

By focusing on innovation as a key driver of growth, you can compete in new ways, using new business models to respond rapidly to evolving trends in a highly connected marketplace".

Many thanks to Kallum at Acorn Enterprises for sending all Acorns and Saplings from the Acorn Business Incubator for making us aware of the programme. I completed the Scale application with no expectation of gaining a place. To be honest I was chuffed to just get short listed.

I think this just says if you see any opportunity just go for it.  Probably the biggest thing I got from the Acorn Business incubator.

Directors meeting:

On Sunday we had a meeting of the Dyslexia Pathways CIC board of directors which we held at the Old Manor Hotel at Lundin Links in Fife. The only item of the agenda was progressed made tee shirt dyslexia positive logo designs. Have to say I was impressed by the progress made by Cat.


From left to right Lecia, Carolynn, Cat, my wife Anne and Lesley. They are a great team and Dyslexia Pathways CIC would not be here after 6 years without them.

Scottish Innovation Voucher:

I had a meeting with Alex from St Andrews University today regarding my dyslexia phone app idea. Alex has a PhD in Software Engineering and we had a brilliant meeting. I am meeting with him again tomorrow to plan out the idea and write our application for a Scottish Innovation Voucher. This will enable us to build a proto type and do some research on the idea.

Enterprise Scotland:

I also had a meeting with June Gallagher from Enterprise Scotland seeking advice and support. This was again a fruitful meeting.

Holiday:

My wife and I went away to Ribby Hall Village for a weeks holiday with the family. Brilliant place especially for kids.

 
Just a couple pics of Layla who had a great time 
 

Fly in the ointment:

The only real fly in the ointment is cash flow for me at the moment. What with my heart attack, attending the 20 week incubator course etc I lost around 4 months business income. So I an struggling to pay my bills, I am going to have to close down my Unique Dyslexic app and go back to a free version on the Unique Dyslexic soundcloud page. I have been thinking of crowd funding myself but there are just not enough hours in the day to do this sigh.

I am in the process of making a funding bid to Foundation Scotland. I just need to find someone independent of Dyslexia Pathways CIC to look at our accounts and sign them off. Its just a small bid of £1.800 to buy materials to promote and run some dyslexia awareness training and to do some dyslexia assessments.

Anyway enough of the negative.

ta for taking the time to read my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment