Saturday 23 October 2021

More than one way to tell a story


Lizzie McDougal telling us about the Scottish tradition of quilt story telling

Hi readers and followers

Lizzie McDougall came along to our Unique Dyslexic Get Creative event and told us a story in the Scottish oral tradition of using a quilt to tell a story. 

Copied from Lizzie McDougall web site

"For over 20 years I have been travelling around the Highlands and Islands gathering, telling and sharing Highland stories at storytelling sessions and ceilidhs, for museums, feisean, clan gatherings, festivals, visitors, schools, nurseries, community groups, historical buildings and gardens.

My love for storytelling goes back to my childhood. Because of my dyslexia, books were sort of closed to me but I was very lucky and encountered many storytellers and became all ears. So while I love and appreciate the wonders of books, my passion is the stories from the oral tradition.

I love creating storytelling and art projects for people of all ages that help to keep this living tradition alive and buzzing. Over the years I have worked with many people on projects to celebrate our tales and folklore including The Seer Festival, Celtic Trails, The Eagle and The Dove,The Seeing Stones, The Sistership Banner, NC 500 StoryMap, The Highland Story Quilts and The Dementia Memory Blankets.

Using storytelling in exciting ways to create opportunities for people to connect to the wonderful wealth of traditional stories in inspirational ways."

Her story and quilt were fab. I wish I had filmed this at the time but I was too busy. Here is a link to her web site:

https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/authors/lizzie-mcdougall.

A fab day was had by all at our Unique Dyslexic Get Creative Festival here in Glenrothes.

Thanks for reading, please share, give as a like or follow or even subscribe to my Unique Dyslexic Eye social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment