Wednesday 25 May 2022

Why many dyslexics feel so negative about being dyslexic?

My Unique Dyslexic Badge


Hi all my followers and readers

We dyslexics tend to focus on mistakes and dyslexic issues, dyslexic kids get more negative feedback from teachers than non dyslexic kids. So its not surprising. School can feel like purgatory for so many dyslexic kids. 

I am very positive about being dyslexic but my problems at school can still come back and haunt me when I am stressed or tired. Many of us lose site of, or are not aware of, any positives. 

Sometimes I ask a student to draw a line down the middle of a bit of paper. On one side i ask them to list positives and on the other negatives of being dyslexic. Hey, that negative list fills up pretty quickly, while the positives can take some time to find one or two. 

We then have a conversation and try to rebalance the lists. We have a fab sense of empathy and strong emotional intelligence. We can be the person our family and friends turn to for emotional support because of our empathy. On the other hand we are very bad at confiding in others when we need support.

#PeaceLoveGroovyness to you all, please leave us a like or subscribe and follow.

JOIN THE UNIQUE DYSLEXIC CLAN

Steve McCue

No comments:

Post a Comment