Thursday 13 April 2023

Why the social model of dyslexia and social enterprise

 

social model of dyslexia and social enterpsie a more empowering, inclusive and positive way forward

just a photo of me with my I am dyslexic logo

Good day to all my blog readers

I can only comment on this from a dyslexic perspective. I believe the medical discrepancy model of Dyslexia has gotten us pretty much nowhere. This model say it's we dyslexics that are the problem. It makes no mention of diversity and difference. It says dyslexia is all out discrepancy, disorder and deficits. 

That's why my social enterprise, Dyslexia Pathways CIC, (Community Interest Company,) promotes and support the social model of Dyslexia. 

We see the social model of dyslexia together with social enterprise offers the dyslexic community a more inclusive, positive and empowering way forward. The social model tells us it is society that disables and here is how society does. 

My own research showed only 19% of dyslexic adults were assessed while at school. That the majority of adults assessed as dyslexic were assessed while at university. 

But you have to remember only about 5% of undergraduates are dyslexic while in the UK research shows around 10% of the population are dyslexic. Society disables us in so many ways and this disabling starts from day one at school for many of us and does not stop even at higher education level.


#PeaceLoveGrooveyness to you all from me

Steve #UniqueDyslexic McCue

If you enjoy reading my blogs why not subscribe and leave us a like

No comments:

Post a Comment