Friday 1 August 2014

Been feeling like I am on a rollercoaster this week and other news


I have been a very busy person over the last few weeks. Sometimes I wish I were not so driven with this dyslexia thing sigh. Think I am just tired and need a little rest. I will take a couple days out after the next Unique Dyslexic Get Creative workshop is done and dusted this week end. Monday and Tuesday next week will be my down time.

Wednesday I will design a poster for the music event and then Thursday and Friday, oh joy, I will be visiting the hospital for check ups lol.

I know after my heart attack a few weeks ago I was supposed to take a month away from it all but lol that didn't happen and I was back working the next day. Just too much to do. Anyway I got bored and had to do something to keep me from going to sleep.

This whole Unique thing is done on a voluntary basis by myself and everyone else involved. The whole project has become a bit of a monster though.

The Trash to Treasure workshop is fully booked with 11 participants which is great. I am looking forward to this one myself even though I am not actually getting involved with doing anything in the workshop itself.

I will be giving a little presentation at the beginning on being positive about dyslexia and encouraging the participants to chat about their own ideas about dyslexia and experiences of being dyslexic. Then I will just be offering support, and taking pictures and movies throughout the workshop.  I will be offering free dyslexia screening during the workshop using Quickscan.

I have to get all the paperwork together for this today.

Have to start promoting the final workshop next week which is all about making and recording music. This is being held at the Cupar Youth Café on the 18th August. I am going to put together a little poster for this on Wednesday.

This workshop is an introduction to basic music making, recording and editing techniques. Participants are welcome to bring along any musical instruments they play, but you don’t need to have an instrument or experience to take part and have fun in this workshop. Participants will have access to two recording set ups as well as microphones and synthesizers. Music tracks can also be composed and recorded using music sampling software that will enable participants to write a track in a style and genre of their choosing.

I am looking forward to this workshop a lot, think I will try to put something together musically myself if I have the time.

We will be organising and planning and end of project get together and exhibition for late September. We will have to see how the budget is after all the workshops are completed.

Have just taken on a volunteer admin to help us with our Unique Dyslexic and Dyslexia Pathways social media. Amanda Jane Swindles is not acting as admin for us on a voluntary basis.

We are still looking for someone to support us with our Unique Dyslexic Get Creative website. The website needs updating we need someone with experience to help us to do this.  Its a Toolkit website and free training is part of the package that came with it. I was going to go through the training myself but there are only so many hours in the day. There is some cash available in the budget to pay someone to do this but not a lot lol.

I am planning to start the training later in August but we will see how it goes. 

The future of my organisation is a major concern for me at the moment.

We have a board meeting in August to look at funding for a larger project. If we can get a good bid in it will secure three years income for myself and the business. I think the success of Unique Dyslexic Get Creative will help us in this.

Then there is the Scottish Innovation certificate I am applying for in partnership wit Napier University. If this goes well I can again look for funding to move the project on further.

The basic idea is the development of an accessible social media experience.  I have the ideas and Napier University have the know how to make it happen.

I think this financial year might be tough for Dyslexia Pathways because of the changes the government are making / have made to Disabled Students Allowance.

This might bring with it more business in terms of supporting dyslexic students at university or it could mean less. Its all a bit uncertain and out of my hands to a large extent.

I have now upgraded my Soundcloud account so I can start making audio blogs again.

I know my blogs do go on a bit but there is just so much to write about.








No comments:

Post a Comment