Sunday 31 May 2015

Does dyslexia define us?

I just read a statement that said dyslexia does not define us. What do you think?

I would totally disagree. Now there is a surprise lol. I am not ashamed to be dyslexic. Yes it has been somewhat of a pain in the past but that was before I was assessed.

Once I was assessed I began my own journey of understanding my dyslexia and the positives that came with being dyslexic.

Strong emotional intelligence, creativity, big picture thinking and so much more.

Ok reading is a pain but it does not stop me reading. My spelling can be a trifle bazar but it does not stop me spelling or writing.

I would say the way I define my own dyslexia is fine and that I am very happy in my dyslexic shoes. But I am far from happy by the was society defines dyslexia.

It is my view that society has a very one dimensional view of dyslexia and dyslexics. One that does tend to focus Negative aspects.

Then I would say then not being dyslexic has its own negative aspects.We as dyslexics need to define dyslexia for ourselves not let a society that lacks any real understanding about being dyslexic define dyslexia for us.

I bang on about the medical model of dyslexia and how negative it is. All the medical model tells us is we are ill in someway. That we need to be cured.

There is far to much focus on remediation on trying to make us into a non dyslexic image and not enough focus on enabling us to develop our strengths so that we can embrace our dyslexia and succeed because of it.

Unless we break the medical model of dyslexia many of us will keep on becoming negative self fulfilling prophecies.

#dyslexia a difference that reflects #diversity https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unique-dyslexic--2

#vivaladifference please contribute to our unique dyslexic crowd funding. Even £1 or $5 will help us with our unique dyslexic campaign

Many thanks for reading please send me your comments

No comments:

Post a Comment