Monday 30 March 2015

how far forward have we come with promoting a more positive profile of dyslexia?


 
 
Way way back in 2005 I did a little research on dyslexia and teachers and discovered that very few teachers told anyone about their own dyslexia. Many expressed concerns that being dyslexic would adversely affect career and job prospects. The research encouraged me to put together one of my early dyslexia projects, “Breaking through the barriers of dyslexia”. I was lucky enough to secure £50,000 from the Learning and Skill Council for this successful project.

Nearly 7 years later and things do not appear to have
changed much.

I was talking with a very bright undergraduate
student a while back who I have been providing
dyslexia support over the last semester. He was
expressing an interest in becoming a teacher but felt
that it was not possible for him to do so because of
his dyslexia. He was expressing his concerns about
telling any prospective employers about his dyslexia.
That if he did it would adversely affect his job and
career prospects. He would be a great teacher as well
in my opinion


There is still far too much focus on dyslexia as a
negative condition that adversely impacts on our
abilities to succeed academically as well as in the
work place.

Let’s face it what employer wants to take on a
dyslexic who can't spell, has poor memory, a brain
that does not work properly, who can't read well etc.
This is what the average person in the street believes
dyslexia to be. Very few mention any of the positives
of dyslexia at all. So it is not surprising many 
dyslexics keep it a secret, including teachers and
other professionals.


For every positive single article on dyslexia there and
20 or more negative ones. If we are ever to change
people's attitudes and perceptions about dyslexia we
need dyslexic teachers in classroom who are positive
about being dyslexic and can act as role models and
mentors to dyslexic children.

Here is some feedback I got from one very bright
student I supported. Most of it was very positive
apart from what he has written in the last paragraph:

Having left school with little or no qualifications and with
a real lack of confidence in terms of academic learning,
sport provided me with an avenue to realizes my
potential, on the sporting field and through employment
and education.

Through rugby I was given an opportunity to gain
coaching qualification and in turn gain employment. This
was my dream job which I never thought possible,
working as a rugby development officer within Dundee
I gain national recondition for development work I had
carried out within the city through the achievements the
club had made in volunteer and player development
within the sport.

After seven years working through my personally
perceived difficulties with dyslexia my confidence had
grown and I realized I can achieve just as well as anyone
else within the work place or other wise. I left my job to
do a HNC and HND in sports development which was
done in one year at collage and achieved A’s in all three
graded units. After this I gained direct entry on to BSc
Sports development (Hons) at university. Although at
this time I have only received grades for one assay
which was an A18 I feel I’m achieving far high standards
of work I had previously thought possible. With the
support and guidance Steve McCue has provided me
with.  
This has allowed me to focus my attention on strategies
best suited to my personally strengths and weaknesses.

Although dyslexia should not be a block to achieving
anything within the workplace or education I still feel
there are many negative preconceived perceptions of
individuals with dyslexia which can make life difficult.
This student was so concerned about this he didn't
want me to mention his name at all. He has since
completed his PhD.
 
Many thanks for taking the time to read my blog it is
very much appreciated.
regards
Steve McCue

4 comments:

  1. understanding why this person doesn't want their name published, the fear and shame is worse sometimes than the non problem of solving dilemmas and working in a different way than peers, the work environment was very un friendly for me, well just not , nevermind..........................................................no complaining.......................dyslexics do not talk backwards though, and by the bye, ..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an Honours Degree from the University of St Andrews and a post grad qualification from university of Dundee all achieved as a mature student without having the knowledge that I was dyslexic. This was a hard way to achieve these qualifications. I never mentioned to employers that I was dyslexic ( once I discovered I was) until I was in post several months and knew I was doing my job well. I worked on short term projects so had a lot of employers. I always received great references and reviews. I hope in my own small way I helped change perceptions about dyslexia. But it is a long road...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn hope you are well. I am thinking of running a crowd funding appeal to raise funds for our proposed new dyslexia hub and other projects. I am currently looking for people who would like to volunteer a little time to help us reach as wide an audience as possible. would you be interested in getting involved? we alos need to build a small team of volunteers to help up move our hub idea forward. regards

      steve

      Delete
  3. Long may you help change perceptions Lynn. Can I copy this to post on my social media or would you like to share this yourself?

    ReplyDelete