Saturday 1 October 2011

Good teacher Bad teacher?

We all know there are good teachers and bad teachers but I do not see how they can have all the blame for the lack of support for kids who are disabled. I was lucky I did my teaching qualification, PGCE in Inclusive Education which was all about inclusion, multi sensory learning etc. Students on other PGCE courses got very little training in inclusion and dyslexia wasn't even mention as far as I remember. So if teachers are not getting training how can they provide support in the classroom. I di my teacher training in 1995 and I am pretty sure things have hardly changed for the better since then. Government interference in the way schools work and with their budgets does not help at all. Government policies have meant teachers have to teach kids to achieve targets for league tables rather than teach kids to achieve their own goals. It is easy to know teachers as they are always first in the firing line. I was a teacher for over 15 years before left the profession. I was a good teacher always getting good feedback from students and from inspectors. But inspections for inspections sake, teaching to targets, the squeezing of the curriculum and a long time being bullied by a line manager who just didnt support me with my disability issues or my dyslexia etc took all the enjoyment out of it for me. I would never go back into teaching withing a college or school now. I am better doing my consultancy work I still get to do what I enjoy which is the teaching but without any of the hassle

No comments:

Post a Comment