Tuesday 4 October 2011

Leaving school at 14 good idea / bad idea?

"PUPILS can leave school at 14 and learn a trade under radical plans unveiled ­yesterday to shake up Britain’s ­education system."

The quote above talks about letting young people leave school at the age of 14 and learn a trade. I was someone who just stopped attending school at age 14 because I didn't think school was for me. I did go to clases I enjoyed art, maths, commerce but the rest I bunked off. I think I stopped going because I was bored, unchallanged at school in terms of work expected of me. Somewhere in there was a belief I couldn't learn.

Had we had this new proposed system of leaving school at 14 I would have been a candidate for this. I didnt show any academic promise what else would I have done.

I was luckier than most young guys who leave school because it was not for them. I became a musician many end up within the prison system.

I didn't find out until I went back into education at around age 35 that I was dyslexic and that I was able to learn. Once I found that I could learn a got a voracious appitite to learn and embarked on 7 years full time education starting with basic skills  and ending with PGCE Inclusive education and many other qualifications since. I would never have achieved this had I not been assessed as being dyslexic.

My point is this. School was not able to engage me academically because I was dyslexic, it couldn't meet my learnind needs and didn't teach me in was that enabled me to access learning. I left school officially in 1975 but this situation still happens. Many children with dyslexia do not have access to dyslexia support at school at all and school fails them.

Its not that they cannot learn it is because schools do not teach them in ways that enable them to learn. Sending them off to technical colleges at 14 may be a good ro bad idea. However, if they do not provide dyslexia support there is a danger young people with dyslexia who are fail at school will contintue to fail in these new colleges. 

I had that same academic potential when I was 14 but was unable to realise it because of the way I was taught at school.






No comments:

Post a Comment