Friday 5 February 2021

Ain't society hilarious? lol, I am a colour blind, left handed dyslexic, (UPDATED VERSION)

My dyslexic footprint

For an accessible podcast version of this blog just click on the link below:

Podcast audio version of this blog

Hi all hope you are well

Isn't society funny sigh. 

Like 10% of the human race I am left handed. Not so long ago the right handed dominant 90% would have said that made me evil or sinister in some way. In 1940s Australia I would have been called a mollydooker lol. 

Not so long ago left handed school kids would be forced to write with their right hand. Sometimes left handed kids had their left hand tied behind their back to make sure they wrote with their right hand.

Research shows there are over 85 different terms the refer to being left handed. The vast majority are non complimentary to say the least. I will also say we still don't really understand what makes a person left handed.

Most of the current research suggests that left-handedness has an epigenetic marker—a combination of genetics, biology and the environment. In other words they don't really know. 

What I will say is almost everything from scissors to tin openers are designed to be used by right handers. Yep we can now buy left handed scissors and tin openers but you wont find them down the local supermarket. When I want to buy a left handed guitar or bass they were always more expensive than right handed ones. 

Research suggests lefties tend to have better verbal skills then righties lol. Maybe that's why I have often been told I have the, "gift of the gab", lol.

Like 4.5% of humanity I am colour blind and every time......... literally every time I mention this people ask me what colour I see everything from a tree to the jumper they are wearing lol. 

The 95.5% of people who are not colour blind just don't get it. I don't share the same frame of reference as non colour blind people. I don't share the same frame of reference with other colour blind person. 

People with normal colour vision are known as trichromats. People with ‘faulty’ trichromatic vision will be colour blind to some extent and are known as anomalous trichromats. Another term for colour blindness is colour vision deficient sigh. 

A beautiful painting by Monet who happened to be colour blind

Finally, like 10% of the human race I am dyslexic and believe me the 90% of the human race have called me many names from thick to stupid and lazy. Society says I have a disorder a deficit a discrepancy. The non dyslexic dominant society tells me I am disabled in some way. Society totally ignores the fact that it is our dyslexia unfriendly education system that disables.

Being dyslexic comes with many strengths, we tend to be very creative, unique problem solvers, big picture thinkers, 3 D thinkers, we have fab empathy and emotional intelligence. We are good at making connections and have strong narrative reasoning. Hey hey here is where my, gift of the gab, comes in again lol. 

Funny how society sees diversity and difference ain't it?

#PeaceLoveGroovyness to you all

Steve McCue

your comments, like and support it welcomed

No comments:

Post a Comment