Saturday 20 February 2021

Unique Dyslexic Eye progress, problems and volunteers

Dyslexia Pathways CIC logo



Hi all hope you are all well

My organisation, Dyslexia Pathways CIC, like many organisation was severely impacted by COVID. For example, my dyslexia work stopped March 18th.

I was in the middle of taking HND Course in Broadcasting that also stopped in March. I was taking the broadcasting course because I had an idea to set up podcasting / broadcasting show for the dyslexia and other neuro diverse communities. My Unique Dyslexic blog has had over 280.000 listens and podcasting just seemed like a natural progression.

But when the course stopped I lost access to the broadcasting studio at the college. I dint really have the hardware and software at home make the shows but never the less I carried on and set up Unique Dyslexic Eye.

The aim was to support the mental health and well being of the dyslexic and neuro diverse communities. I didn't really have the cash for hardware, such as a good microphone or for software such as Adobe Audition for editing the show.

As a result I set up a Kickstarter called Unique Dyslexic Eye. it was only for £750 and it was probably the hardest £750 I ever earned. But it was successful. I was lucky because my Kickstarter attracted a super backer. It ran for a month and raised £790 which was badly needed. I did the Kickstarter thing because it is so difficult to find prospective funders for social enterprise.

We did run an earlier project called Unique Dyslexic Get Creative and secured £10.000 from the lottery. An unknown donor gave us £1000 for the project and Dyslexia Pathways added to the pot also. It was a really long process and I find many of these funders are dyslexia unfriendly.

I need some help with raising funds for Dyslexia Pathways CIC. I still have the web site for Unique Dyslexic Get Creative up and running thanks to the kickstarter money. But it needs re branding and other work done to it. A link to the site is below. Volunteer support volunteer alert lol.

Unique Dyslexic Get Creative

I am now back working at Universities providing online support for dyslexic and neuro diverse students. But I need to expand that but have no idea how to do this or money to invest in starting this up.

Would be fab to have some volunteers to support the work we are doing?

#PeaceLoveGroovyness to you all

Steve McCue


No comments:

Post a Comment