Thursday 2 September 2021

Dyslexia and eye sight testing plus a couple dyslexic friendly reading / writing tips

 

My organisation Dyslexia Pathways CIC Prestige Award Winner 2021 / 22 for best dyslexia support organisation in Scotland

Hi blog readers / followers and subscribers hope you are well

I went for my eye sight test the other day. Its been a while since my last one, maybe a few months before COVID. Happy to report there is no change in my eye sight. I am type 2 diabetic and being diabetic can impact on our eyes. So regular testing is important to catch diabetic eye sight damage early.

Now here is something that came to mind when I was being tested. The last time I was tested the optician informed me that my pupils were larger than normal pupils so let more light in. Now I already knew that because because bright sun really irritates me. Also I was told of this at my last eye eight test. When I am reading from a screen or book the bright white of the page can blur the text. This is also due to being dyslexic. Text blurring on the page is something that impacts many dyslexics.

Last time I bought glasses I bought a slightly tinted pair which helps me when looking at the computer screen. The right colour tinted lenses can help some dyslexics to overcome their reading issues. A colour overlay on paper can help as can changing the background on the screen on a computer. You can play about on a computer with different colour background in Word etc. We can take a colourimeter test and get tinted glasses to a colour that works best for each dyslexic.

 "Colorimetry is a technique which uses specific colours to help with children’s reading difficulties, including dyslexia. It appears to benefit approximately 40% of dyslexics. The coloured filters appear to be very specific to each individual and there are more than 2500 individual colour combinations that can be prescribed."

Like with everything dyslexic its not a panacea and does not work for all. Lol yep, nothing is ever straight forward because I am also colour blind lol.

So I was sitting there doing my eye test with the really bright white screen and black letters that were blurring a lot on the smaller letters. Got me thinking are eye tests for dyslexics as accurate as they can be? 

Should we be taking eye tests with different colour back grounds? Should all dyslexics be given colourimeter tests by opticians before taking an eye test?

Another dyslexia hint vision wise is using different fonts and font sizes. Personally, I like Verdana font size 11 when I am using Word.

Other dyslexia friendly fonts include Arial and Comic Sans, as letters can appear less crowded. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet, Calibri, Open Sans. My advice is to take some time to play about with font types and sizes, find what work for you.


I will be making a podcast about this for episode 5 series 2 of my Unique Dyslexic Eye podcast show. 

Little shout out, if you are dyslexic or from any other neuro diverse community and have something you would like to share with my listeners / readers or have a question for me please contact me on steve.mccue@uniquedyslexic.com . Send me a voice file, I use a phone app called Smart Recorder its totally free to down load or use. 

My mobile number is; 078 287 414 73

#PeaceLoveGroovyness to you all

Steve McCue









No comments:

Post a Comment