Saturday 15 September 2012

Access to work scheme


The Access to Work scheme gives you and your employer advice and financial support with extra costs which may arise because of your needs.

You had to be in employment to apply for Access to Work and that means declaring a disability to employers which many people are not happy to do especially those with a hidden disability. I developed a project, funded by the Learning and Skills Council, designed to provide free dyslexia screening and assessment for staff, including teachers. I was employed as co-coordinator for dyslexia support at the college and have a very positive attitude towards dyslexia. We screened over 300 members of staff, assessed 23 members of staff as dyslexic and provided training in dyslexia friendly work practices as well as support with Access to Work. But, even after the project had ened and even though we had exceeded targets by 200% most of the staff assessed still did not want to declare it to their managers. Most said it was because they feared declaring they were dyslexic would impact on their careers.

 On the downside when I applied for Access to Work the same college made me sign a waiver stating that if I left the job they would keep all the technology from Access to Work. When I was made redundant they did indeed keep the technology including a laptop and assistive software. This in turn impacted on my ability to seek new employment and on future applications for access to work. I do not believe dyslexia to be a disability for many dyslexics. It is society and employers who disable and this employer by keeping the assistive technology disabled me. Access to Work or my union were willing to help me with this situation.
additional information on changes to Access to Work
Access to Work have extended the services they offer -  For example, until recently people who were working but not earning were not eligible - but now people on work placements or unpaid internships are. Also, they will carry out an assessment with an unemployed disabled person, agree what adjustments that person might need in the workplace, and write a letter that the candidate can show to prospective employers explaining what (if any) equipment might be required and confirming that Access to Work would cover the costs.
Now I am not sure if this applies to all of the UK though and this is something I only read about today

No comments:

Post a Comment