Thursday 24 October 2013

dyslexia pathways updates, updates and more updates lol

Well its Thursday again and another busy day supporting dyslexic students. 5 appointments today and my diary is full for next Thursday as well. I have dyslexia support for two other days this week but have a couple of slots to fill. As I have mentioned in a previous blog I am taking a day or two out of my week to concentrate on the Unique Dyslexic Project.

On Tuesday I met with a prospective volunteer, Cathy, for Dyslexia Pathways. Have to say I had and enjoyable meeting. Cathy brings with her a wealth of skills and experience which I am cetain will help us in our dyslexia work. Amongst other things will be looking at possible funding opportunities, completing admin tasks and getting things done that have to be done. Like standardising my learning materials and policies. She will also be working on the Unique Project.

We discussed the need for some new directors for Dyslexia Pathways. As we are growing and getting involved with new projects the time has come to seek out new directors who would bring with them skills and experience we need if we are going to move on. How I go about this I am not sure but I guess I will have to look putting together job descriptions and interview material.

I have always been a little bit protective of Dyslexia Pathways. I set it up, I have my vision and my beliefs about dyslexia. As a result I have always been a little reticent about the idea of taking on new directors. However, its getting to the stage where I cannot do everything that needs to be done. Working on the web site being one of those things. So I will have to bite the bullit so to speak and get on with the task of finding new directors.

This week I have been putting together the web brief my mentor has asked me to do. Not as easy to do as you would have thought. But its needed to help me focus on what I want the Unique site to do. I am going to have a look at my Dyslexia Pathways site again and see if i can start to get my head around Word Press. I am also going to set up a meeting with the web designers to try and get the web site issues resolved.

In the meantime I am going to start the ball rolling with a Unique Dyslexic Facebook page to start getting people involved. I am also working with Cathy on some promotional material to send out to organisation in and around Fife to get them involved and let them know what we are doing.

Here is a question for everyone:

Am I a dyslexic or a dyslexic person or a person with dyslexia?

I also like being a dyslexic musician and artist rather that being a person who is dyslexic and is also an artist.

I feel being dyslexic defines who I am and I have lived a like being dyslexic with all its ups and downs lol. Which is again why I like using the phrase dyslexic artist. I do not see dyslexia as a condition.

Then I am also aware this might be seen a labling dyslexics.

Hmmmm now I am not a fan of the, "person with dyslexia", because I feel it pathologises me. As many of ther regular readers of my blog will know I am not a fan of the medical model of dyslexia which does pathologise us. Any if anyone has any thoughts about this please share them.

Finally, yes I am coming to the end of another long blog which may put off some people from reading. So i have been toying with the idea of inserting a link to my blog to a you tube where I will basically read out my blog on camera to make it more accessible.

What do you think of that idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment