Thursday 17 October 2013

Yes is me back again talking dyslexia lol

Well my dyslexia uni work is going well and I am working with some great dyslexic students. I am learning stuff from them all the time. Thats the one thing I love about my work. I never stop learning.........

I am going to have to stop doing my dyslexia student work at least one day a week for the forseeable future to concentrate on the Unique Project. It makes things harder for me finacially because if I am not working I am not earning. Its going to make things harder financially in the short term but it was my choice. It has to be done to get the Unique Project running.

Not that I am just going to be sitting around on my sorry dyslexic backside doing nothing mind lol. I have to do a lot of work for my Unique Dyslexic project. I want to have the Unique Website live well before Christmas as well as have held one of the creative arts master classes organised and run.

I think I have found someone who would like to volulteer as an administrator, researcher, fundraiser. I have only chatted to her over the phone but she certainly the right skills and experience. I am hoping to meet with her on Tuesday.

I have a meeting with my business mentor tomorrow. I want to have sorted out a web stratagy by the end of that meeting. I sat down in front of Inspiratrion, my mind mapping software, and planned out what the web site has to do etc. Once the lottery funding comes in I am going to pay someone to do the work needed to get the Unique site live. I have decided there will be three interations of the Unique site each building on the last. Right now I am contentrating on whats needed to get the site runing. I am a big picture thinker like most dyslexics and i do stuggle with the details. However, my mentor has been brillaint at teasing out the detail from me.

A long time ago, in another life it seems, I completed, and passed, a masters level qualification in multi sensory e learning and dyslexia and Southbank Uni. It was probably one of the best courses I have ever been on. This must have been way back in 2005. The problem is I have not been able to keep up with the technology nor keep on updating the skills I got from this course.

Texthelp have given me access to the latest copy of Texthelp read and write for three months which is cool and ta to them for that. They have also offered to provide me with certificated training on this software. Of course the cost of the course is prohibitive and to attend the course would mean losing another days work. I am also having to turn down invitations to events at the scottish parliament where I volunteer on a couple of committee and a number of others elswhere.

Now I love what assistive technology can do for dyslexics and disabled people but I have to add its not a panacea, it does not work for everyone. The cost of it all is also usually quite prohibitive whcih makes it out of reach budget wise for a lot of people who could potentially benefit from it.

However, if you are dyslexic or disabled and in employment your company and you could approach Access to Work. This is a government programme which can help pay towards the cost of assisitve technology that could help dyslexic and disabled people in their jobs. You employer might have to pay 20% towards the cost and Access to Work would pay 80% of the cost. Most employers and employees do no know about this. But it could benefit both so find out more about it.

Here is a link

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/how-to-claim

A while back I designed some dyslexia focussed logos for t shirt. Somebody told me about the People per Hour website. I thought I had found someone who could help me take my rough desings and make them look more professional. Have to say this all fell through sigh. I did get a refund of all my money and I will try there again later this week. It just means things will take longer than anticapated and believe me I am not good at waiting around for things to happen lol.

Well I guess thats my lunch break gone lol my next student will be here in 14 minutes lol/

No comments:

Post a Comment