Friday 25 July 2014

Getting things together for the next Unique Dyslexic Get Creative workshop


Good morning all hope you are all well and looking forward to enjoying your weekend. We have had glorious weather here in Glenrothes over the last few days and I have been able to do some of my work in the garden.

Tomorrow we are holding the visual art workshop in Anstruther in Fife. So I have been preparing all the paperwork etc for that. We have had some great coverage it a few Fife based newspapers this week. Big half page spreads with a couple of photographs.

Its all a bit later than I had planned though. Everything had to be put on hold for a while whilst I recovered from my heart attack of a few weeks ago. My recovery is still going swimmingly by the way. 

We have just had a couple of cancellations for this workshop so if anyone is interested  just contact me today and I can add you to the list for tomorrow.

The Trash to Treasure is full with a couple of extras on the list in case of cancellations. Please again if you are interested contact me. If we can get enough interest it will help us with further funding bids later in the year.

I have been having a rather frustrating conversation on linked in and I thought I would like to add something I wrote in response to things being said in that thread.

I will only say this you can couch dyslexia in all the medical terminology you like, use terms like dysfunction, symptoms you can say the brain is abnormal etc but where has it gotten we dyslexics?

Precisely nowhere, we are still struggling for a universally agreed definition, dyslexic kids are still being failed at school, dyslexic adults are still, in the main not being enabled to achieve according to their potential in the work place.

The medical model of dyslexia has done nothing but shackle us to continued failure in life, education, training and employment. This needs to change and the only hope is to realise that dyslexia is a difference rather than a disability.

That's why I support and promote the social model of dyslexia and the idea of neuro difference. The worst thing that every happened to dyslexics was the medicalization of dyslexia.

I would also say that every dyslexic's dyslexia is unique to them, the challenges they face are unique to them. I know this from the work I do with dyslexic students at university. So when I read someone has found a great way to help every dyslexic I treat that claim with a huge degree of scepticism because there is no way that can be so.


Dyslexia Pathways and Unique Dyslexic Get Creative
promotes and celebrates the creativity, in all its
forms, of dyslexic and neurodifferent individuals and
communities, locally and globally.

We seek to promote the positive social model profile
of dyslexia and neuro  difference.
 
"Viva le difference"
 
Many thanks to anyone taking the time to read
my blog. I have just reached 10.000 reads and
in about a third of the time it took to reach
5.000 reads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment