Saturday 13 November 2021

Dyslexics: The fab 10%

 

 




We are the fab 10%:
 
Dyslexia to me is more than a label. Dyslexia is a part of who I am not just an add on its is me. Being dyslexic defines me in many ways. Too often we talk about dyslexia like there is me the here is my dyslexia like its something that is standing next to me. But it is not dyslexia is an integral part of me, of every dyslexic and a very important one at that. 
 

I am dyslexic but I do not have dyslexia. There is a difference.
 
It is not good enough that so many of us end up in prison. 50% of people in prison are dyslexic. It's no longer good enough that our education system marginalises us. It is a waste of our lives and a waste of our potential.
 
We dyslexics are not inherently criminal.       
Many of us leave school with low or no qualifications. We may have struggled with un assessed dyslexia through out all of our education. As a result many of us leave school with low self esteem and self confidence. Then we find it difficult to find employment and succeed in training courses.


I have met with many dyslexics failed by any training for employment they attend simply because no support is available. Trainers are not trained to meet their learning needs. 
 
We dyslexics can end up being marginalised even further and as a result make bad choices that can end up with breaking the law. In general dyslexics have average to high IQs and I don't think any non dyslexic can imagine how it feels to be a bright individual facing seemingly impenetrable barriers that society places in front of us.
 
Politicians should see dyslexia as a preventative spend issue. Enable us to succeed at school and achieve according to our potential. Nurture dyslexics at school instead of remediating failing us. We could have over 50% of entrepreneurs being dyslexic instead of 35%. Just imaging what a benefit to the Scottish economy that would be. What a preventative spend investment that would be.
  
I feel sorry for all those non dyslexics out there who will never see the world as I do, who can only see little bits of a big picture I can see and who will never solve problems like I do.
 
We are the fab 10%. I know for many my words may appear hollow or utter crass lunacy. But it is society that disables dyslexics and this disabling starts from day one at school and an education spectacularly fails too many of us.
 

We dyslexics succeed across all areas of our society and many do so in spite or our experience of education. #uniquedyslexic #vivaladifference.


If you would like to find about the work we do call me@
Steve McCue on: 078 287 414 73 or by email at:

Alternatively visit our web site at:
www.dyslexiapathways.com



No comments:

Post a Comment