Wednesday 21 September 2011

MRI scan

Just got back from an MRI scan on my brain gawd what an experience lol. The nurse was very helpful and explained all that was going to happen. I was warned the process was going to be noisey and so to counter that I had to wear a pair of headphones. I was also informed that I could choose from a selection of music to play in the headphones.  Not much of a choice of music all middle of the road stuff like the infamous clog dancin trio ABBA NOOOOOOO!!!!! In the end I went for a 60s and 70s compilation.

First of all I had a lay down on a bed and have a cage clamped down over my head and was asked not to move at all whilst the scan was taking place. Then I was given a panic button that I was to press if I was panicing. I was then pushed into the MRI scanner. To say it was a snug fit would be an understatement. Blimey so glad I am not clausrophobic.

The music started to play and the sound was sooooo tinny with hardly any bass at all ouch. The first song was Wonderful World Louis Armstrong. Now I like this song but I have always associated it with funerals which was quite ironic as I felt like I was in a coffin. Although I am certain there will be more room in my coffin than in the scanner.

Then the scanner started and the noise levels quickly built up so that I could hardly hear them music. As I looked upwards all I could see was the whitness of the inside of the scanner so I just closed my eyes. The noise kinda pulsed which got faster and faster till eventually I coundn't hear the music at all.

The scanner noise reminded me of gadgets in old sci fi programmes like Dr Who. All the gadgets had to make really annoying loud screachy sounds. The noise being there for no other reason than to signify it was working and fururistic. Blimey who would have thought all those Dr writers and writers of sci fi predicted the furute world of gadgets would be soooooooo loud.

A few minutes later the first scan finished and there was a new song playing. I have no idea what it was but it was another cheerful little ditty I don't think. I didnt recognise any of the songs at all apart from the first one.

I have no idea how long I was in the scanner for but it felt like an age. Won't have to wait long for the results though. I will just be happy if they have found a brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment