Tuesday 13 September 2011

Dyslexia discrepency model sigh

Sigh will we ever move away from this dyslexia discrepency model? I am an individual and like every other individual I am good at some things and not so good at others. I do not have a learning disability, specific or otherwise. Would we characterise someone who is not very good at art as being dysartistic, or someone who is bad at driving dysmotoristic? Would they be labled as being disabled? Yes ok, so I found reading difficult, I still do, spelling can be a real pain in the arse, my organisation well I am about as organised as daffy duck. On the other hand I have great problem solving skills, I have fantastic oral presentation skills, I am a creative musician and creative person in general. I believe all the things I am good at are because I am dyslexic. The things I am not so good at hey thats life. I love being dyslexic, I do not want to be cured, I am sick of reading about disability discrepency model of dyslexia. 90% of the time a dyslexia expert opens there mouth its to tell us what we can't do and why we can't do this or that. Who wants to be told being dyslexic means you are disabled or your brain does not work correctly?

No comments:

Post a Comment